The nice, warmer weather of the spring brings about thoughts of spring cleaning. Cleaning out the dust and dirt accumulated during the winter and opening the windows to allow fresh air replace the stale air. It makes me feel energized.
If you have felt the winter blahs and have let your job search slide some, now is the time to re-energize. Freshen up your job search. It’s time to look at what you have done and see if it needs to be cleaned up. Below is a list of things you might to “spring clean”.
- Your Network–Have you contacted people in your network since the holidays? During the holidays you might have made the rounds of every event you could fit into your schedule. The purpose was to meet new people. Did you follow-up with them after the event? Have you kept in touch? This would be a good time to if you haven’t.
- Your Resume–Go over resume—anything to add—skills, volunteer positions, licenses, honors, achievements, etc. Is it as up to date as it should be? Are you using key words from the job posting? What about the general look—is tired looking and could use a makeover?
- Your Interview Clothes—With a season change comes a change in your wardrobe. Your winter clothes might not look appropriate at a spring time interview. It’s time to rotate your closet. Are your spring time clothes up for interviews? Do they still fit properly? Do they look worn? Do you have anything fresh and up to date?
- Your References—Have you spoken to the people you have asked to be a reference? Are they still the best people to give you a reference? Are they still willing to be a reference?
- Your Digital Dirt– Now here is something that really needs to be cleaned up. Google yourself to see what information comes up. Is it what you want a future employer to see? Now is the time to start cleaning up your digital space.
- Your Career—Are you still interested in the same career? Is your career on the decline and not hiring as in the past? It may be time to do something different. Look at your career, have you accomplished everything you wanted? Have you wondered what another career would be like? Do a little research to see what’s out there. There maybe something similar but different enough to make it attractive.
Your job search can get stale especially if you have been out for a while. Use the spring to get refreshed and energized. Doing the same things will get you the same results. Shake things up and do some research. The end of your job search can be as close as the summer.